Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Freezing Fresh Herbs

Well, now that summer is winding down I thought I should probably stock up on my fresh herbs and figure out the proper way to store them. Of course, Pinterest came to the rescue!

For the past couple years I've planted my own herbs and always had delicious, fresh herbs on hand. This year I was distracted by moving across the country for my husbands job and didn't get around to planting them. I did however go buy a basil plant and planted it at home because I didn't want to go with out that. Then my daughter and I went to visit family for 2 weeks and I forgot to remind my husband to water it sooooo, I came home to a very black, dead basil plant. Boo!!

Anyway, the dried herbs you buy at the store don't do anything for me and herbs can get expensive during the 'off' seasons so I'm excited about this.

Basically, you cut your herbs how you normally would want them in your meals and put them in ice cube trays with olive oil.  Once they are frozen just toss them in a marked container or baggie. Yay! This took me about 20 minutes tonight to do a bunch of cilantro and basil. Now I just need to get me some parsley and I'll be set!


To check out the very informative site just click HERE

** There are a few different ways to do this and depending on how you plan on using your herbs would determine if you'd freeze them in oil vs water, etc... 

The link above is a great site to read all about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment