Friday, August 17, 2012

Homemade Coconut Milk

If you use coconut milk you need to check this out! 


I feel like we are constantly buying coconut milk and I was happy to find a recipe to make my own since I usually pay $1.99 a few times a week for this...

I made my coconut milk and put it to the test with our favorite coconut milk/ cocoa ice cream. As you can see, it turned out pretty good...

To read how to make your own coconut milk just click HERE

A couple things to note...

*In the instructions it says that after about 3 cups it starts making it a little watery. I totally agree. I wish I'd stopped (or used another 1/2 C. coconut) for the 3rd and 4th cup water. I feel like mine was too watery.
* Mine didn't create the coconut oil on top (which made me kind of sad). I'm wondering if it's because mine was to watery.
*My coconut milk tasted delicious to drink but we wanted to put it to our true test. Ice cream. We love our coconut milk ice cream but this time I felt like there was to much of a cocoa taste (I know, how is that possible!?) and I'm wondering, again, if it had anything to do with the coconut milk not being as thick to soak up the cocoa?? I'm not sure. Next time we make ice cream with homemade coconut milk I'm going to add 1/2 the cocoa and see if that makes a difference? 
*I don't have a food processor so I used my blendtec and I felt like that worked as a good substitute. I just used the 'pulse' function.







2 comments:

  1. I want the recipe for the ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, here is the link

      http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/05/chocolate-coconut-milk-ice-cream-2.html

      It's the post I did on August 4th.

      Delete